Exposing The “Miracle” Of Blindfolded Sight- The Story of Ranjana Agarwal

Written by June 23, 2010 4:30 am 135 comments

This is the story of a little girl of fourteen and the ambitions of her mother whom we met at the studios of Live India TV channel on the evening of 18th June. The story begins on this date, when I received a call from the channel asking if I could visit their studios if I was in Delhi. When the call arrived, Shubrum, Rakshi and I were on our way over to their house, after a very important and successful meeting with the present director of Vigyana Prasar Network, Dr.Anuj Sinha. Since Shubrum had a meeting, Rakshi and I decided to go for the live broadcast to investigate the case of this girl, Ranjana. It was the claim of her family and some others that she had the unique power to see blindfolded. Some of these folks also accompanied her to the studio. It was claimed that she had been given a certificate by the Ministry of Human Resource Development that she had the power of seeing with a cloth tied over her eyes! That was supposed to be in recognition of her ‘unique talents’. It was quite clear that this girl who was from a village near Varanasi wanted to go places!

Ranjana Agarwal with her mother who was manipulating her

Ranjana Agarwal with her mother who was manipulating her

On the panel which went on air at 9 pm there was an astrologer, an ophthalmologist, Rakshi and myself. The discussions started with the so called “unique talents” of this girl, with some prerecorded footage of her showing her so called remarkable talents! Then the whole drama started. The opinions of the panel were asked.The ophthalmologist said that the phenomenon needed testing. The astrologer, as to be expected, said that it was a case of supernatural powers. Rakshi said that there was nothing supernatural and I promised that by the end of the program I would prove that she had no supernatural powers.

The tests started with a blindfold being tied round the girl’s eyes and a newspaper shown to her. She brought it down at such a low angle that she could read it through the gap between the blindfold and her nose! When I said this was something that anyone could do, the blind fold was tied around my eyes and I was asked to read something held higher. Obviously I could not do that. That was said to be my defeat in round no.1! The discussions continued and when it was Rakshi’s turn she said it was to be seen as to how this girl was doing it. The anchor kept on harping about the unique talents of this girl and how these were recognised by the govt of India, throughout the program!

Then we took a break and there was an argument between the anchor and Rakshi! When the show was off the air, heated discussions were going on. Though I tended to agree with Rakshi, I am a veteran of many such shows and decided to hold my peace in the larger interests of the movement. This was followed by more heated arguments and Rakshi went off the air. But the panel continued without her and so did the nonsense!

Two pieces of cotton were kept on the girl’s eyes and the blindfold put back on. Again she managed to ‘see’ a paper held before her eyes, through the same gap. When I suggested that I would put the blindfold properly on her the anchor declined and said that I would get my chance later! That was never to come! In the meantime there were many other superfluous things going on, They were showing footage from Mahabharath, the part where Kunti put her unique powers into Duryodhan etc. The astrologer was harping on about the powers of Sanjay in the Mahabharath who could read written words from miles away! So, I pulled out a currency note from my pocket and challenged the girl to read its serial number from ten feet away. The astrologer backed out saying that the events he mentioned had happened in Threthayuga and it was Kaliyuga now!

indi-tv_pujariThen came the denouncement! The next chance to prove the so called miraculous powers of the girl was another test. She was to have dough applied to her eyes and be asked to read the words. I said that I wanted to participate in this and went near her with two pieces of sticking plaster in my hands. I had observed where the gaps were between the blindfold and her cheeks and wanted to apply the dough to that area. When the ophthalmologist got ready with the dough, the girl complained that her eyes were hurting and that she was having problems seeing! I had anticipated this, as I could see the girls mother signaling to her, apparently out of the sight of all the others, that she should say no! The very sympathetic anchor said that she was a small girl and hence should not be subjected to more trauma! He who was keen up to that stage saying that we would conduct more and more tests to demonstrate these unique powers of the child, suddenly turned very sympathetic when the going got really tough.

I had got ready with the plaster, but there was no question of applying it now as the girl was shedding copious quantities of tears. The whole drama had been planned and carried out in such a way that the girl would be let off when it came to the crunch. She was to be ready to cheat when the criteria were not rigorous, and when really tough tests were to be applied such a drama would be enacted to get her off the hook! But, I was not willing to be a party to this. I was very vehement that the whole thing was a drama and asked why the rigorous criteria of applying dough to her eyes was not done in the first trial. I also wanted to know why I was not allowed to access the girl the first time! There was no need to go on for an hour when the so called miraculous powers could have been exposed in a few minutes.

The whole thing is about TRPs. They wanted to sacrifice a child at the altar just to improve their viewership. It was obvious that the driving force behind the whole farce was her mother who wanted to bask in the glory of her daughter’s unique “talents”. The whole exercise was fueled by the ambitions of the TV channels to improve their ratings. In fact before it went on air I was requested to wait for some time before I expose this girl, as the whole show was to go on for an hour or so.

Those in on this plan wanted the so called special powers of this girl to be certified by us, which is why I had been invited. This invitation led to their exposure and downfall. In the process, the child was hurt and had to undergo humiliation in public. But the very relevant issue here is that the child was put up to this sort of exploitation. The anchor had been talking all that time about a ‘testimonial’ awarded by the Ministry of HRD, govt. of India. I was wondering, on what grounds did the government issue this “testimonial”? How could have this department verified that this girl had the ability to ‘see’ with her eyes blindfolded, before issuing the testimonial? The anchor was also bragging about the ‘certificates’ issued by some local govt. medical officers. Who had given them the authority to certify this so called miraculous power?

This certificate produced by the girl's mother appears to be a fake. No mention of Ranjana Agarwal can be found in her name. If this is a case of fraud, forgery charges must be brought against the mother.

Edit: On further checking this certification has been verified to be genuine. The target now includes the ministry of HRD, the government of India, which has so carelessly declared that this girl has the ability to see blindfolded.

While the child’s alleged miraculous powers were exposed on the show, what was the gullibility level of those who certified her? Did none of them have any sense as to see how she was reading blindfolded? My conclusion was that Rakshi had been right from the beginning. It was not about the exposure of so called ‘miraculous’ power, but about a greater exposure of how a publicity-hungry parent, TRP-crazy media and gullible public joined to make a celebrity out of an ordinary myopic girl who was peeking at things held under her nose through the gap between the blindfold and her cheeks. The case needs a more thorough investigation by some agency looking out for children’s welfare, because Ranjana Agarwal is only fourteen years old and legally still a child.

Professor Narendra Nayak is the President of the Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations (FIRA). He regularly tours the country, giving demonstrations and holding workshops to develop scientific temper.

This post was written by:

- who has written 109 posts on Nirmukta.

135 Comments

• Narendra Nayak

Vinoj you did not turn up and some who came and tried to show blindfolded reading flopped when properly tested. I have made the open statement that the so called Midbrain activation enterprises are like beggars using children as props. At least the beggars are more honest- they just beg. They do not make tall claims. I have posted the narrative of the whole proceedings on my FB time line. You and others were taken apart argument by argument there. If you had the honesty to keep up to your word you could have come there and answered. But, since you are used to speak to innocent children who do not know anything you dare not face us.

• Narendra Nayak

Vinoj you did not turn up and some who came and tried to show blindfolded reading flopped when properly tested. I have made the open statement that the so called Midbrain activation enterprises are like beggars using children as props. At least the beggars are more honest- they just beg. They do not make tall claims. I have posted the narrative of the whole proceedings on my FB time line. You and others were taken apart argument by argument there. If you had the honesty to keep up to your word you could have come there and answered. But, since you are used to speaking to innocent children who do not know anything you dare not face us.

• For those who join late here below is all the replies from Mr Vinoj Surendran who took up the challenge and then ran away. Just read and enjoy.

Vinoj

March 26, 2015 1:25 pm

We are ready to accept you challenge. Pls lety me know your specific conditions.

Vinoj
    March 27, 2015 2:01 pm
    Thank you for replying.
    The details of the blindfold activities can do will convey you soon.
    I also have conditions for accepting the challenge.
    with reagrds
    Vinoj

Vinoj Surendran
    March 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Sorry for Late. I was Out of State.
    We are ready to accept your challenge.
    Our Children will do the following things with blind fold
    1. Will Read any book in English/Malayalam
    2. will identify the object which is about 10 feet distance.
    3. Will read a message or an incoming call Number in your mobile phone.
    4.can read the number of a currency. and much more…..
    Our conditions.
    You should not harass the children by asking any questions.
    You should deposit the amount offered to a third party
    Do not touch the children while they performing.
    Please schedule the Venue,date and time of the event.
    It would be better if it is arranged in the front of media.
    Thanking you
    with reagrds
    Vinoj Surendran

VINOJ
    April 3, 2015 10:22 am
    As i were in Patiyala, Panjab I could not check my mail for last few days. Yes I accept your condition. My children will read or identify what you shows with the blindfold which u given by u.
    Pls arrange the programme after 13th of this month.
    with regards
    VINOJ

April 9, 2015 6:20 pm
    PLs SEND ME YOUR MOBILE NUMBER PLS

Vinoj Surendran
    April 6, 2015 9:10 am

I clearly stated my claims and conditions earlier.
    they were
    Our Children will do the following things with blind fold
    1. Will Read any book in English/Malayalam
    2. will identify the object which is about 10 feet distance.
    3. Will read a message or an incoming call Number in your mobile phone.
    4.can read the number of a currency. and much more…..
    Our conditions.
    You should not harass the children by asking any questions.
    You should deposit the amount offered to a third party
    Do not touch the children while they performing.
    But unfortunately your terms and conditions contains much more.
    You should understand one thing this is not a magic or superstition. It has its own science. Science is not made by humane but it was identified from the universe by scientists. Every actions in the universe has a science. As you know, nobody can identify an object which were hided from our vision. So once again I say that you can block only their eyes not the object. The objects should be visible to the audience also. It is not compulsory to give the objects in the hands of children.
    The material used for making blind fold should be a soft opaque material which does not make any discomfort or irritation to the children. These are my humble requests for the sake of our children. They are not a machine/ saint/ magician but mere children. Thank you for treating and considering them as your own son/daughter.
    Thank you.
    have a great day
    VINOJ SURENDRAN

VINOJ
    April 7, 2015 1:46 pm
    Sorry Mr.Subin….
    We are born to win…
    We are always on safe side….
    we will do all the things as claimed by us.
    This is not a business…
    At first u study the definition of business.
    God Bless You SUBIIN

VINOJ
    April 7, 2015 1:50 pm

Dear MR.Narendra,
    We will inform you the full details and our conditions and number of the cheque directly into you mail id provided within 2 days.
    Have a great day

April 9, 2015 6:14 pm

We claimed that our children will do any activity using blindfold. That means you can block their eyes preventing visual access from the object. As you know a vision is completed only when the light is reflected from the object to the brain.This is the science for seeing an object. Everybody sees through eyes but our trained children see through pineal gland,the audio visual CPU of the brain So you are not allowed to block or hide the OBJECT.
    LET US MEET AT CALICUT
    Wish you all the best

Vinoj surendran
    April 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Dear sir
    Thank you for your advice. First of all, I just want to tell you that we are also from science background. Science itself is changing, and it is it’s nature.Each new scientific findings prove that the older version was wrong.Don’t pretend yourself as the apostle of all the scientific things in this world. I myself is doing a research in the same subject. I humbly remind you that it is not at all my subject of interest to convince you anything.If you want yourself to be convinced, you just search for such journals, if available.As far as I’m concerned I know very well what I’m doing.
    Coming to the matter, our children are seeing through their midbrain as I told you. But as they are children, their mind believes that they are seeing with their eyes. So the thing to be identified should be placed before them and you can prevent them seeing with their eyes. “seeing without eyes” is our claim and not performing a magic show. But in the near future they can even see behind the head or beyond the wall and the only thing is to convince their mind about their ability.
    And about your discussion page, many people called me and said that they have posted some comments in favour of me, but not got published. Why are you preventing people from expressing their views.You just post comments in favour of you only.That’s not fair and I request you better to stop this fake discussion page.
    thanking you
    Vinoj Surendran
    Ingenium India
    +919446294180

vinoj surendran
    April 10, 2015 5:57 pm

dear Mr. Narendra
    Let me remind you something again and again. This is a challenge. A challenge, whether it is about “midbrain” or anything else, have to follow some conditions. Let’s go the starting of this “challenge”. You have written a story about “Exposing the “Miracle” Of Blindfolded Sight- The Story of Ranjana Agarwal” and ‘discovered’ that the miracle of blind fold is by peeping through the blindfold material and challenged to prove otherwise. When I joined the discussion, I have clearly mentioned my conditions. My challenge was that our children can see things that ordinary man cannot. Can anyone see after using blindfold? The only thing you can do is to check whether the child is peeping through the blindfold or make sure that the vision is blocked by using proper blind fold ,as you said in the case of Ranjana agarwal. But what has happened is that, as days passed, you kept on changing the terms & conditions. For that you are saying that nothing can be taken for granted, this is hard earned money, etc . Yes Bose, no one is getting easy money. Everyone have to work hard to earn some money. But it’s you who have come up with the challenge. If you are so concerned about your money better keep silent.
    Now your intentions are quite clear. You want to get some fame at our expense. Really you have no genuine interest at all to know the capabilities of mid brain stimulation. You only want to prove that you are “something”. But you are mistaken Mr. Narendra. You have met a wrong person. I know very well what I’m doing and our children are the future stars. At least I’m 100% confident about the effectiveness of our system, but you are not. That’s why you keep on changing the conditions. I’m quite sure that people like you will be stunned at the forth coming developments in this field. I know ,again you will be doing your duty of making fake challenges and try to fool the public. You please go on and if you are ready to accept the challenge at the above mentioned condition, please inform me.

April 12, 2015 7:58 am
    myself is very aware about what i know and do. pls wait for 19th april.All about mid brain miracle will be revealed.
    April 12, 2015 7:48 am
    DEAR SUBIN,
    I never discourage you .
    at least you should realize it as it is very familiar to you. however it is my opinion that was not a right action for you posted the video in the youtube, you are very aware that it is possible.
    April 12, 2015 7:37 am
    I am not interested in such controversy.We have already accepted your challenge.
    Our Children will do the following things with blind fold
    1. Will Read any book in English/Malayalam
    2. will identify the object which is about 10 feet distance.
    3. Will read a message or an incoming call Number in your mobile phone.
    4.can read the number of a currency. and much more
    May I humbly remind you one thing that MY CLAIM WAS OUR CHILDREN WOULD DO SOME ACTIVITIES WITH BLIND FOLD.
    So you have right to provide your own blindfold..
    if you are ready to accept my challenge please come forward.
    We are accepting this challenge not for fame popularity or money. But just only to make you realize the power and potential of every child if tapped in the right way can create a divine society.
    April 12, 2015 7:39 am
    LET US MEET ON 19th April @ Calicut

Vinojsurendran

April 16, 2015 12:31 pm
    Dear Mr. Narendra Naik,
    I would like to inform you that our children have inconveniences to perform in such a negative atmosphere. Besides, their parents are unwilling to use the children as a tool for any such experiment. However I shall not step back from your challenge. I assure that it is possible. So I hereby suggest a new solution for satisfying you all.
    You send us any normal child aged between 5 & 13. We will enable that child for doing blindfold activities in 10 days. You just pay only Rs.100 as a Dakshina as it is compulsory for this training. So that you can do any experiment with that child, and i assure you he/she will do any blindfold activities with your preventing measures. Since the guardian of the child is you, there won’t raise any inconvenience. If the child performs even in the preventing measures, you need to pay me only the course fee of training
    with regards,
    Vinoj Surendran

Vinojsurendran
    April 16, 2015 1:44 pm
    Dear Nayak,
    We have no worries… Happiness is the key to success.
    I never say your candidate is not suitable but
    the candidate should be in the age group between 5 and 13.
    Should be a normal child.
    Shouldn’t have any sign of MR/Autism/Down syndrom etc…
    If you are ready come forward.
    vinojsurendran

April 17, 2015 12:09 pm

If you are ready to accept my request and send me your own child… then cry out….
    with love and regards
    Vinoj Surendran

April 19, 2015 11:37 am
    Dear sir,
    Pls see All about pineal gland.
    you will get all the science about MID BRAIN MIRACLE.
    with regards.

April 19, 2015 11:41 am

sir,
    pls refer this also

April 19, 2015 11:44 am

April 19, 2015 11:46 am
    Pineal gland, endocrine gland found in vertebrates that is the source of melatonin, a hormone derived from tryptophan that regulates circadian rhythm (sleep cycle). The pineal gland develops from the roof of the diencephalon, a section of the brain.
    In some lower vertebrates the gland has a well-developed eyelike structure; in others, though not organized as an eye, it functions as a light receptor.
    The pineal gland, the most enigmatic of endocrine organs, has long been of interest to anatomists. Several millennia ago it was thought to control the flow of memories into consciousness. The 17th-century French philosopher-mathematician René Descartes concluded … (100 of 523 words)
    April 19, 2015 11:47 am
    If you have still any doubts pls come to us
    April 19, 2015 12:00 pm
    Dr. Rick Strassman, who conducted extensive research on near-death experiences in the 1990s, asserts that the pineal gland is also responsible for secreting the naturally occurring psychedelic hormone dimethyltryptamine (DMT). Structurally analogous to both serotonin and melatonin, it is believed DMT might help contribute to the visual effects of natural dreaming, near-death experiences, religious visions or other altered states.
    As we have attempted to understand its functions throughout history, the pineal gland has been associated with mystery and myth. René Descartes, for example, dubbed it the “principal seat of the soul,” suggesting it connected the body and intellect. Further, the philosophy of French writer Georges Bataille holds that the pineal gland can be thought of as a blind spot in Western rationality. This could serve to explain why science has merely a partial understanding of its function and secretory activity. From a profound sense of clarity and presence to an increase in physical and mental health and balance, the effects of its proper functioning are wide-ranging and can be difficult to communicate. Further study will provide the elusive link between science and spirituality.

• Dear Mr. Nayak

Hi! I am from Kolkata and had attended a similar presentation on this so called technique of unlocking and activating mid brain.

I am keenly following your blog and would like to know the results of the test which was supposed to have happened on 19th April 2015.

Best Regards

Rupen

• Check my time line on face book. If you want you can call me on 094482 16343. It has been reported in at least three newspapers in Kerala.

• what happened to the event and the outcome? let me know.Very interesting.If it is true I will Take franchise. M no is 09433020708

• for those who couldn’t attend calicut on 19th here is the video. It is in Malayalam